SUMMIT…Growing Women Entrepreneurs
A Peer Roundtable for Graduates of StepUp
In 2009, 15 New Brunswick women in business participated in the pilot of StepUp. The program was such a success that the participants decided to continue their monthly peer roundtable meetings to focus on overcoming the growth challenges faced by women business owners.
Summit empowers women entrepreneurs to grow their businesses through the sharing of information, wisdom, and inspiration with their peers. It is the second phase of a process that starts with participation in the StepUp Women Entrepreneurs' Mentorship Program.
To support the women entrepreneur graduates of the StepUp program in growing their businesses and building leadership capacity within their companies and communities through peer mentoring roundtables.
Members of Summit will:
- Maintain the relationships and peer mentoring between graduates of the StepUp Program
- Function as an informal board of directors
- Receive peer support and information to take their businesses to the next level
- Be a source of support, empowerment and inspiration to each other
- Tap into the wisdom of their peers
- Make strategic contacts and promote business development
- Conduct business with each other when possible
- Majority owners of non-competing businesses; for accountants and lawyers, women with senior management responsibilities
- Own and operate businesses with $250,000 gross income per year, at least 3 years in operation, and a minimum of 3 employees
- Graduates of the StepUp Program
- Organized into groups of fellow graduates of the same StepUp program, and, as such, limited to no more than 15 members per group
- Sign a confidentiality agreement
Discussions at the regular monthly Summit meetings will begin with a roundtable update and then focus on the member’s needs through a peer roundtable discussion of two or more identified issues, including financial concerns, organizational development, hiring and firing, etc. The quarterly face-to-face meetings include an educational component, with presentations from an expert advisor or guest speaker. The Summit Annual Retreat will focus on education and learning, with one or more guest speakers. All Summit meetings are facilitated to ensure maximum effectiveness for all members.
- A woman with significant insight into small business & entrepreneurship
- Recognized and influential in her local business community
- Committed to supporting women in business
- Hired as a consultant - not a volunteer